So I started this blog post on July 9th, but completely forgot about it. Today I just wanted to go off about diabetes, among other things, and as I read this draft, I felt like it was perfect. I will stop at diabetes though...
25 Reasons why I love diabetes: Ha! No, I do not love diabetes.
1. I hate being attached at the hip to a machine--literally.
2. I hate having to carry all these supplies everywhere I go. I cannot just grab my keys, credit cards, driver's license, put all that in my pocket and go.
3. I hate the smell of insulin.
4. I hate the infusion site on my body.
5. I hate my freckled fingertips. By the way, freckled is just a nice way of saying "calloused" and "fugly."
6. I hate having to check my blood sugar every time I eat, or have a drink (alcoholic or non-alcoholic).
7. I hate feeling panicky when I feel my blood sugar is dropping.
8. I hate feeling helpless when my blood sugar is low.
9. I hate having to eat, or drink juice, to treat a low when I'm not hungry.
10. I hate the weird smell only I can smell when my blood sugar is high.
11. I hate the aches in my body when my blood sugar is high.
12. I hate being cranky when my blood sugar is low or high.
13. I hate feeling so dependent.
14. I hate it when diabetes makes me feel different or when non-diabetics make me feel different.
15. I hate it that I can't look at a meal when eating out and say, "this looks delicious." My first thought is, "how much insulin should I take for this?"
16. I hate having to think of everything I eat in numbers.
Scrambled eggs-0g Carbs
White Rice-45g Carbs (1 cup)
17. I hate it when diabetes interrupts my sleep.
18. I hate going extremely long periods of time without eating because of a stubborn high that just refuses to come down.
19. I hate the itch on my DexCom site that I can never get to until I take the sensor off.
20. I hate that I'm terrified of amputations - any cut or scrape on my feet or legs gives me an anxiety attack.
21. I hate it when people say, "somebody I used to know died of diabetes." It makes me want to tell them, "thanks a lot, I'll have nightmares about a long, painful death tonight."
22. I hate it when I feel judged about my blood sugar. "Oh it's not my fault you can't control your blood sugar...." Umm excuse me???? People like this should try walking in my shoes for a day.
23. I hate feeling the need for support. (Thank you diabetes online community - you guys are the very best. And my family, I would never have made it without you.)
24. I hate having to wear a dog collar. (It's a medical ID bracelet, but I feel like I'm wearing a dog collar.)
25. I hate it that diabetes is a full time job - that I have to pay for!